Wednesday, March 3, 2021

A Casual Conversation

Photo credit Alan Levine
 

A Casual Conversation


He was sitting at the counter drinking his coffee and reading the paper when he heard a key in the back door. It was a weekday and he should have been at work, but he was playing hooky. He took a quick peek over his paper to see his wife coming in the door. "So, you're back.” he said without looking up from the morning newspaper.

You would think he’d say more; after all she had been gone for four months. You’d think he’d ask if she was OK, where she’d been, was she back for good, but none of those questions crossed his lips.

She said, “I wasn’t expecting you to be home. I just came back for a few of my things. This time when I leave I won’t be coming back.”

“There’s some fresh coffee in the pot, if you want some.”

The whole while he had not ever lowered the paper to look at her. He turned the page and was absorbed in the next tidbit of information.

“I had to leave. I had to figure out who I am. I needed my space.”

“There’s a stack of mail for you on the hall table, I opened the bills and paid them.”

He turned another page in the newspaper.

“I know I should have let you know where I was or at least that I was alive.”

“There was a postcard from your sister and her husband, they went to Hawaii and said they were having a wonderful time.”

He reached around the newspaper and picked up his coffee mug.

“You sure you don’t want some? I always make more than one person can drink.”

She winced at this; he always got up early and made the coffee so she would have a cup ready for her.

“I can’t undo the last four months. I’ve grown, I’ve spread my wings. I’m going to file for divorce. I want it to be amicable, deep down I still love you. I just can’t live with you.”

“All of the clothes that were in the hamper are clean and should be hanging up in the closet.” he said turning another page.

He wasn’t sure what she expected him to do. Did she want him to get down on his knees and beg her to stay? Had there ever been a time when he had changed her mind once she had made it up? No, better to let her do what she needed to do. After all, he still loved her and wanted her to be happy, even if it wasn’t with him.

“I only need a few things; most of the stuff is from a past life now.”

“What should I do with what’s left?

“I don’t know. Give it to the Salvation Army, have a yard sale, burn it, I don’t care. It’s isn’t another man if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“I wasn’t thinking anything.” he said turning another page in the newspaper.

He wasn’t thinking anything. That was a hoot. The man’s mind went nonstop as long as he was awake. Had he already thought up all of the scenarios and discarded them?

“You’re always thinking something. You’re always analyzing something. You’re always holding something up to the light and turning it this way and that. You’re always coolly calculating the effect one thing has on the other. You have no soul, you show no emotion. Look at you sitting behind your newspaper drinking your coffee, not even looking at me. I’ll send for my things, I’d forgotten what it was like.”

She slammed the back door on her way out and her favorite picture fell to the floor.

He heard her pull out. The newspaper he’d been using as a shield began to quiver. He slowly lowered it to the counter. He put his tear stained face into his hands and began to sob.




No comments:

Post a Comment